The Pod

Who can tell me what this thing is? We find them stuck to the walls, one or two new ones every day. We think they’re some kind of bug egg pod. They’re about 1/3 to 1/2 in. long. They don’t move or have legs, but when you squish them they’re just kind of powdery. GETTING TIRED OF THEM.

084Pod

About these ads

10 comments on “The Pod

1. eline says:

Could it be some kind of mold spore? Do they always have the same shape? It looks so alien!

• Peg says:

Pretty sure it’s not a mold spore, but I suppose anything’s possible? They’re always on dry walls, usually near a corner, no where near moisture or anything to feed on. They all look the same, but maybe a little lighter or darker at times. Weird!

2. Anonymous says:

It is a traça de roupa, or better it is only the “casulo”(cocoon?). The insect inside it already left. It eat books, clothes, wood.

See this blog (in portuguese) – http://blogdaspragas.blogspot.com/2010/08/tracas-de-roupas.html

3. JCE says:

4. Ahhh! Are those IN YOUR HOUSE? Ok, it looks really big in your photo, though I know you mentioned it is small. But I still am envisioning the movie “The Thing.”

5. kiki says:

i think these are from huge moths! don’t ask me how i know.

6. nina Oliveira says:

I have these in my house too. I go crazy with my cleaning lady trying to get rid of them. She says it’s a lost cause!

• Peg says:

I’m not sure it’s better now that I know what they are. They still turn up nearly every day somewhere in the house, and I haven’t seen any damage from the larva yet, but I’m still kind of grossed out by them! At least I know they’re not alive and the moth has flown away. Thanks everyone for your help with this!