Girl’s Day at the Beach in Buzios

What is a person to do when new girlfriends invite her along to a day in Buzios?

A person is to JUMP on the chance. No waiting, no thinking, no questions asked.

That’s how I ended up hopping the bus with Katja and Otti yesterday bright and early in the morning.

I’m so excited to find Katja living in our town! Our little expat community of two (me and B) has grown by one. We are quite an inclusive little group, with a representative from Scotland, the US and now Switzerland. Go us!

She actually found me, thanks to the miracle of social media (blogging and Facebook). We met in person a few days ago and I love her!

So, back to the bus. Did you know there is no ‘bus schedule’ here? There must be one somewhere, but it doesn’t seem to be available to the public, so we kind of just wing it. The first thing we found out yesterday was that there is only one bus per hour from Unimar to Buzios. Guess which bus we missed by five minutes? No matter, the beach was still there when we arrived two hours and three buses later.

010Buzios

And, really, with a beach like that at the end of your ride, who can complain about unreliable schedules? Not me. I can’t tell you how nice it was to cool off in that beautiful water! The day was hot, the bus rides were long, and the water was perfect.

And the sand was burning!

011Buzios

You would stand in the shady spots too.

Three hours lazing around in the sand and water with two really fun and interesting women was a good way to spend the day. That was just for starters too! We were nowhere near finished with Buzios.

012Buzios

There was much shopping, much laughing, a bit of coffee and some lime juice. There was more shopping, more laughing and a million bikinis and sandals to try on.

013Buzios

Later in the afternoon we finally gave in to the rumblings in our bellies and walked past all the other tourists along the beach.

014Buzios

Katja took us to a tiny little hole-in-the wall restaurant that served us the most delicious calamari and mussels. I wish I could go back again today just to have more. Yum.

015Buzios

Scenery, food, conversation, a couple of beers. Can’t beat that.

We walked back to Rua das Pedras while we watched a pretty amazing sunset.

016Buzios

Those fishermen are statues. I love all the statues sprinkled through the town.

017Buzios

We still had a good two hours of shopping left to do before heading home. I think we all wore out our feet, but it was well worth it.

018Buzios

Otti is here in Brazil only for vacation, and I’m so glad I got to meet her. The whole day was a swirl of Italian, English and Portuguese and it all flowed so well into a really, really good time. We hope she’s coming back soon, and I think we gave her some really good reasons to return!

For the first time I got home later than B. He worried about me, especially during the bus ride home in the dark, and he waited up for me until I got home. I came in the door after ten pm covered in sand, slightly sunburnt and smiling while jabbering about my day.

Win.

About these ads

14 comments on “Girl’s Day at the Beach in Buzios

1. Buzios is one of my very favorite places in the world!

• Peg says:

I can see why. It’s so beautiful, and has so many different varieties of beaches, shops and things to do you could spend a week there and just start to get to know it. This was my fifth time there and it’s different every time.

2. Sara says:

That’s the only thing I miss about living in Macae… how close Buzios is! I miss spending the weekends there or just going up for lunch and shopping :( BUT Rio is awesome so I can’t complain too much!

3. stephanie says:

Looks like you had a great day!!! Im so jealous! :) The beach is so far away here, i hate it! I miss it a lot (i lived at the beach in the u.s.) Anyway glad you had a great day!! One day I will be travelling your way “:)

• Peg says:

If you ever get a chance to come down this way, Stephanie, you’re always welcome to come stay with me. We’ll go to Buzios together, Now that I know how to get there by bus there’s no stopping us! lol

4. April says:

We have been hearing wonderful things about Buzios! You made a great case for visiting with your lovely pictures. :)

5. Nancy B says:

I always love your photography….I think my fav this time is the one with the water drops! How did you get that look without damaging your camera? Miss you!

• Peg says:

A wave crashed against the sea wall right as I snapped the photo. I had the fill flash on, so it lit up the drops. I like that one too! Happy accident.
      Miss you too. Hopefully I’ll get a chance to see you guys soon.

6. Nancy B says:

I have a file in my pics that are just for my favorites from your shots. I hope you don’t mind. I really like looking at some of your creative photos. I wish I had the eye that you do! In fact, my favorite fall scene is the one you took when you guys went to the pumpkin farm and you snapped a shot of a wagon full of various pumpkins and squash on the the way out. It just screams ‘FALL COLOR’ and it always amazes me that you just snapped it as you were walking by!

7. TheBoyandMe says:

Definite win! Love those statues, I studied the fishermen one for several minutes to see if you were fibbing ;-)

• Peg says:

I did the same when I saw them the first time. I had heard of them, but this was the first time I saw them in person and they’re really realistic and cool. Beautiful place!