Bromeliads, Bromeliads, and more Bromeliads

So my little bromeliad died, and my former mother-in-law (who is awesome) has given me some good advice on how to keep one alive. I thought I’d give it another try.

First step is to get a new one. Lucky for me, this doesn’t involve a trip to the garden center.

031Bromeleids

It just means I need to walk out my front door and look around.

027Bromeleids

They are everywhere. They grow on nearly every tree in the neighborhood.

030Bromeleids

They grow on most of the fences too.

029Bromeleids

They even grow on the power lines throughout the neighborhood.

028Bromeleids

Did you know they have flowers? I didn’t. Some are white, but most are every different shade of pink.

026Bromeleids

I wonder if my new little plant will ever sprout a flower? That would be pretty cool.

024Bromeleids

We walked down just one street and saw thousands of them. Some as big as soccer balls, some as tiny as grapes.

023Bromeleids

Some clinging in bunches to giant trees, some hanging airily to tiny branches.

022Bromeleids

Some with flowers, some without.

021Bromeleids

I was keeping my eye out for a fallen twig with one attached.

020Bromeleids

And guess what I spied? My new little friend laying right by my feet.

025Bromeleids

I carried him home and gave him a good dunk, then found him a new home in a glass of pebbles.

032Bromeleids

Why yes, that is a Nutella jar. I happen to have a few empty ones laying around the house. Ahem.

So my little plant has a new home, lots of light from the patio, and will get enough water. I need to poke around town and try to find some plant food. I don’t have a clue if they even sell it here because plants seem to grow like wildfire on their own (for everyone who is not me).

Wish him luck.

About these ads

8 comments on “Bromeliads, Bromeliads, and more Bromeliads

1. Anonymous says:

So is this Spanish Moss? (I have a few Nutella jars of my own!)

• Peg says:

Nope, bromeliad plants. If there is also Spanish moss up there, I don’t know enough about it to confirm. :0)
      Now I’m going to go have another spoon full of Nutella.

2. Angela says:

Love the one on the power lines, nature overcomes all

3. Nancy B says:

Hey! Success! But it looks like you only watered the bottom………..be sure to dunk the whole plant in the water. If you can’t find any plant food, let me know and I’ll send you some (I’ll need your address) A small packet will last months and months, if not years. The pink things you saw are the flower spikes. The flowers will emerge from the folds (or little pockets) and are usually a shade of blue..from dark (almost purple) to light (tending to look white from a distance) although the flowers can also be stark white and various shades of pinks/reds. Once the plant blooms, it grows “pups” and dies, but the pups continue growing and getting bigger until they bloom. This process can take years for even the smallest of plants. What you have looks like a tillandsia, a member of the bromeliad family. (Aren’t you glad you got me started? hahahahahaha)

• Peg says:

See? I said you were awesome!

So I have a tillandsia pup? Cool.

I did dip the whole thing, but it had dried a bit by the time I took the photo. I’ll keep it watered pretty well and will let you know about the plant food. I’m sure I can find it here, I just have to ask a few people where to look. Thanks!

4. Nancy B says:

Wow. Dried that fast….. it must be fairly hot down there. You may need to adjust and water a little more often than 1x a week. ( maybe every 4 or 5 days?…I don’t know for sure since I don’t know what your weather is like) You can leave the plant in a bowl of water over night so it absorbs as much water as possible, too. Take a cue from your weather and water when it rains or is foggy at night. Just keep an eye on it and when the leaves look like they are starting to curl in at the edges, it’s time for another drink. It’s important to make sure you don’t keep it wet constantly.

• Peg says:

It’s been very hot, with very little rain. The heat is normal, but the lack of rain is not. I’ll keep an eye on it and give it a good soak today.