It’s Time to Go

010RDO

Cheers, Mate. We'll miss this place. Madly.

It’s been four an a half years since Brian first arrived here. We had just started to realize how much we liked and cared for each other. What would 5000 miles do to that?

It made it stronger.

We’ve had the most amazing experiences here, especially the friendships that mean so much to us. We’ve learned a new language, integrated into a new culture, explored a little piece of a new continent, suffered through a medical emergency, suffered through long separations and had the time of our lives.

In three weeks we’ll be leaving. We’ll make a stop in Houston for a short stay, then we’re on our way to Scotland. After nearly twelve years away, Brian is ready to go back. He misses his boys. He wants badly to spend time with his aging father who may not be around for much longer. He’s ready to go home.

It’s time for a change for me too. Along with leaving Brazil and moving to Scotland, I’ve decided to move to the new blog. I will be writing here until we leave, and then I’ll be writing over at A Kilt And A Camera. I’ll also close down my @tomebug Twitter ID and be tweeting at @KiltandaCamera.

I’ve blogged here since August of 2005. Nearly seven years of massive changes. I can’t believe how many great connections I’ve made through this site. I’m so glad I got that wild hair all those years ago and decided to start my very own blog, even though I had no idea what the hell I was doing, or getting in to.

So, get ready. It’s sure to be an adventure. More to come as we make the mad dash to take advantage of our last three weeks here and get ready to move to the frigid north. No more hot sunny days with warm water at the beach, no more Portuguese, no more acai or tapioca, no more churrasco. We’re off to the world of Braveheart, haggis and bad weather, kilts and céilidhs, fish and chips. I’m so excited.

I hope you’ll still come read over at A Kilt and A Camera. I’ll miss you if you don’t.

About these ads

15 comments on “It’s Time to Go

1. Oh no! and “Oh yay!” at the same time!! Sorry to hear you are leaving, but I’m excited to read about your new life! You were the first Brazilian expat blogger I came across and you connected me to the other Brazilian bloggers… so thanks for that! And thanks for your love story… it was inspiring.

Good luck with everything. See you in Scotland (online ;)

• Peg says:

You’re very welcome! I’m so glad I connected with you too. I’ll most definitely keep reading all the Brazilian bloggers, I’d miss you guys if I went cold turkey.

2. thank goodness you are so good at blogging, we would miss you too much without them :)

3. Anonymous says:

Aw. How exciting! What a wild ride your life is……and it is totally inspiring. I feel a little misty at your leaving. You were the first ex-pat I spoke to after I moved here when I was suffering in my first few months. Thank you for being you, and for being willing ot help a fellow journey-er. I hope to meet you in Europe one of these days! (2015!)

• Peg says:

No one is allowed to make me cry! Stop it.
      Thank you for your words, they mean a lot to me. Let me know when you get to Europe and we’ll arrange to meet up!

4. Anonymous says:

I thought I left a comment, but….well I don’t know.

Peg, I’m sad to see you leave Brazil, especially after it seems you had just gotten comfortable ad your Portuguese had become more easeful! It sounds like the transition is a positive one for you and Brian. I love change and moving someplace new, so I actually feel a little yearning for moving again. Tee hee. (But I’m going to stay put) Best of luck, darling Peg! Thank you for your support in my early months here when I was suffering and sad.

I hope we’ll meet you in Europe in 2015 (if our vacation plans go how we hope!)

• Peg says:

The comment worked, but it came through anonymous? I’m really glad to hear I had something to do with making your transition a little easier. I know how overwhelming it can be, and I’m about to do it again!.

Yes, there is a lot to say about moving right when I feel like I just finally got settled, but it’s all good.

5. I’m not sure why it’s anon either…….safe journeys mama! (and see if you can get your man to lay off the cigs and the alcohol….that can’t be helping the coraçāo!)

6. Joyce says:

How wonderful Pegge. Philip wants to move to Scotland permanently so I may be joining you within a year or so.

Eat lots of black puddin’, fish n chips, sticky toffee pudding and see the wee lambs in the spring! Nothing can beat it.

I miss home! Time I went back also.

Take care and I’ll see you someday soon….

Best Wishes,
    Joyce & Philip x

7. Angela says:

Love, love, love your news. Hope to see you both when you are back in Houston if you have a minute to catch your breath. If not we will definately catch up on our visits to Scotland, xx